In 1958, John Del Signore left his hometown in Fonte d’Amore, Italy, to join other Del Signore men working in Venezuela’s construction industry. There, the men worked hard but ate well as they each took turns cooking old family favorites from home. After almost ten years, John decided to leave Venezuela to embark on a future in the United States, but not before first returning to Fonte d’Amore to marry Lina.
In 1964, John and Lina opened DiGiovanni’s Pizzeria in Livonia, and later the Italian Hut. This was eventually replaced by Fonte d’Amore restaurant, a long-standing Del Signore landmark featuring home-cooked Italian food that had drawn rave reviews by restaurant-goers from all over the metropolitan Detroit area for more than 25 years.
Encouraged by their loyal restaurant patrons, in 1989, the Del Signores opened Laurel Manor Banquet & Conference Center. This popular wedding & reception location continues to be the measure of excellence by which other metro Detroit reception sites strive to compete. Weddings and social events became the heart of the family’s success. From the beginning, serving customers has been a family affair. John and Lina’s children and grandchildren have all taken part in working in the family business.
They believe that the main reason for Laurel Manor’s continued success is the family’s emphasis on quality, home-cooked food and the pride they take in every dish that is served-whether it’s the first one out of the oven, or the 1000th!